You learn from what's killing you.

March 30, 2008

The Thumbcutter.

Some of you might have seen this bike, one of the better CFL chassis bikes out there.
Well, this bike was my buddy Mark's, also known to some of you as Ninehalf.
But, why is he known as Ninehalf?
Well, if the name of the bike, The Thumbcutter, is any indication...

here is the bike:














Here is his left hand after he reached down to grab the kickstand while the bike was still running.
OOPS..

THESE PICS ARE FUCKED, ONLY LOOK AT THEM IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WEAK STOMACH. THE LARGER PICS THAT THEY LINK TO DON'T HAVE A CIRCLE COVERING THE THUMB.

so beware...





























His thumb got caught in between his belt and rear clutch drum and sucked up to the starter housing, thats where it tore off.

ouch,

We took the thumb to the hospital so it could possibly be re-attached but when they told us it couldnt be, i promptly stole it and put it on ice so I could make Mark a shift knob.

I got a call about 45 min later saying "hey, dave, bring it back, they want to re-attach it. Damn, no shift knob with marks thumb in it.

needless to say they reattached it and then it died so he had to schedule amputation surgery (man that sounds awful) so they could take it back off.

Then. again as they are no fun, the doctors wouldn't let him keep it...



this pic was right before the surgery to remove it.







So, needless to say, these cycles we ride seem to take a bite from time to time...

I know I posted these two pics before but they do go with the whole story!















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i kind of wish i wouldn't have looked... and yet, i kind of wish they had let you keep the dead thumb. i'm so torn.

=mike= said...

I've heard of them taking a toe , and putting it where your finger used to be , and I guess that works pretty good . I guess it would be best on a thumb , but I dont know .

Nads said...

Those pics make my pee pee hurt.

Beaner said...

That tattoo to honor the little fellows passing is rad! Good to keep a sense of humor about it.

Skylar said...

That shit was gnarly. I seen somethin' worse once though!