You learn from what's killing you.

November 7, 2011

Reposting a post from about 4 years ago

I was reading a book earlier that Dre got me for Xmas a few years ago, Skate and Destroy: The first 25 years of Thrasher, killer book, I was only really a Thrasher reader during the mid to late 80s while I was skating and consistantly hurting myself. I was never all that great of a skater... But I was lookin through the covers in the book and it made me think of some other covers of magazines that were huge influences on me.




















Mike Vallely
and Metallica in 86!

Then it made me remember a Flipside issue, now all I could remember for sure was the green cover, so after wasting at least 45 min tryin to find it online, BOOM I found it! That issue itself influenced me in a GIANT way, its becasue of it that i started listening to Samhain, and Agnostic Front, and went to see SNFU and got the record "and no one else wanted to play" that I still listen to, to this day! Then you got Uniform Choice, which ended up with me being straight edge for about 4 years, til i started drinkin again when i was 20, then it all was downhill!!! now i am clean again, For ME only, i dont give a shit what anybody else does, but not straight edge coz everybody now has to preach their fuckin beliefs and i HATE being told that i HAVE to do or can't do anything.



















That rules!
Then of course I have to repost the magazine that fully destroyed me, Iron Horse 76, I was just out of high school and within months of me seeing this magazine I was riding a fucked BSA chopper with 18" over forks!

4 comments:

ThomasK said...

SNFU is great. Still listen to them also.

Bastard Rob said...

Great memories! I know all 3 of those covers!

Jason said...

I love you Dave.

Unknown said...

Came across an issue of this when I was 19. Was riding a 65 Triumph tiger chop.