You learn from what's killing you.

November 17, 2015

One of those days...

So, today was one of those days.

I rode in to the shop today, it was cold.  Yes, cold.  I'm from fucking California so 55 degrees=cold.
Two weeks before today it was 100 degrees out, it seems that on Nov 1 someone flipped the "No more heat" switch.  Ok thats cool, needed a break from the heat anyway.
I got into the shop this morning and realized I needed some hardware for the mill.  I was making it so I could mount one of my extra 3 jaw lathe chucks to the mill table so I could grip round stuff and not have to use V-Blocks (This is all coz i didn't want to buy V-blocks)
So I got to the shop and left the shop, frustrating.
Got back and finished mounting it.
That went well.
Mounted and works.
Grab my sprocket adapter fot my BF8 build that im workin on, shit, it doesn't fit in the jaws.
pulled the jaws off the chuck, they aren't reversible.
I spent the next 30 minutes trying to find a better way to mount the pulley in the vise so i could indicate it in.  I get it figured out and open the top drawer in the machinist box and what do i see, reversed jaws the for chuck, ugg.
So i put em on, they are numbered so that helped.

I did all my measuring for my 5 holes i'm drilling, I had turned a guide line on the lathe to give me a point of reference.
Ok, this should be no problem.

I spent the next hour drilling, measuring and re measuring.  One hole was off.  Then I get to the last hole, and I could feel my drill bit not cutting as well as it should.  No biggie I was clearing it alot so no big deal,  Then it stops and as i go to shut it off, it snaps.  FUCK.
Ok, my end holes need to be 7/16 anyway no big deal, i have a carbide 3/8" end mill that should take it right out.
Well, it didnt.
I struggled with the stupid drill bit for way too long.  I even turned the hub over and did all the layout to drill it from the back side so maybe I could drive it out with a punch.  Nope, that fucker wouldn't BUDGE.

Ok, I have a hole that's off and a broken drill bit in the piece.  Fuck, I'm giving up for the day.
I can turn it 36 degrees and start over.
Ok fine its 5:30 now and i'm mad as hell.  I decided I'd run up to Vance and Hines to see Hunter.  He's got the hub anyway as hes welding the inserts in so I could match it up there.
I get there and he's working on his sporty that he is racing at the Prestigio in Vegas this weekend.  Its supposed to go on the truck 20 minutes ago, oops, No sheet metal, no pipes, and the ignition powers on in the on position and the started only works in the off position.  So I spend the next few hours helping him get it dialed in.  Adjusted the clutch, fixed the wiring etc..

But then...
As i was pulling the forks off I realized how precarious the bike was sitting on the rack.  I learned this as it came off the rack and ended up on the floor upside down.
Fuck.
Ok so I pull it upright, as it has no forks on it I was able to get some help and we got it back on the lift!  Lucky for me, his sweet little gas tank wasn't on it, and the pipes were still off.  We straightened his peg mount on right side in the press and I decide I needed to stop with the whole motorcycle thing completely for the day.

Now I'm going to sleep.

but here is a shot of the bike before i dropped it, luckily the little tank wasn't on it at the time.







1 comment:

outlaw_josey_wheels said...

Dave, If You know Someone with an EDM, You could try burning
the broken piece out. Or use a 3/8 carbide end mill (center cut)to cut
it out, But the broken piece may start spinning as the cutter
gets near the end, as there will be less material holding it
in place. Next time, Use some good cutting fluid for cripes sake!
as You know, Aluminum likes to stick to the cutting tool as heat
is builds up, Then snap crackle pop.